Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Things That Were Important

I think back on all the things
We argued or disagreed on
The things we felt so important
Things that we had said and done
I held my opinion and you yours
Finding middle ground on some
Sometimes I would given in
And you did too.
Simple thing of disagreements
Where are they now?

Those things we held so important
Have faded and paled in the hours
Since our child has died
And we grieved midst the flowers
Why was it so important for me to
Have it my way
Just one more moment with him
To have here today
I would put aside my ego
Put aside my shame
To have him respond once
When I called his name.

In pain I have learned a lesson
A cost to high to bear
That things are not as important
As it is to really care
My son has gone forever
And I am left here alone
Reconsidering the things
I felt were important at home

I can't undue the past
Nor bring him back
I would give my life for him
And never take it back
But that's not my fate, my course
The path I walk each day
Is now very clear and poignant
To help others along the way
A simple gesture, a kindness done
Easing the burden of a fellow
This is the gift that my son gave to me
An easing of the anger to mellow
What does his death accomplish?
How can it be fair?
Questions without answers
And truths for which I care

No comments:

Post a Comment