Wednesday, February 25, 2009

No Tears

There aren't any tears in my eyes
I haven't gotten them flowing
What is wrong with me
I grieve but with dry eyes?

Tears are for others the
Physical representation of pain
How narrow a way of understanding
My loss of my son

I feel guilty for not giving them
The wet cheeks they need
To know that I am hurt
But still I am silent

Is it because I am a man
Hardened to the conditions
Of the unfair life I lead
That keeps the tears away

Ironic isn't it, that the pain I have
Is because I am a father
A father of a dead son
I really should cry

Is that what you need to know of my pain
Could you connect and comfort
If I sat on the floor and sobbed
Pouring my grief out to you

I can't produce the tears, but I hurt
Would you recognize my failed smile
The drained feeling and desire to hide
As expressions for my turmoil

How about if I smash glasses on the wall
Screaming and raving like a person possessed
Bent on destruction of material things
Letting my feelings flow

The simplest way to help is to ask
Show you care by caring how I am coping
Bypass the tears and anger
Then just listen for ten minutes and mean it

My tears are not water but ink
Poured out on paper for you to read
Each word helping me to adjust
To the death of my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment