Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Month Ago

A Month Ago

Tonight, tonight is the first month date
The date a month ago when you began to be born
The date a month ago was your last day alive
Tomorrow is a month ago your birthday

A month ago I hear your heartbeat
A month ago I held you tenderly
A month ago I saw your face for the first time
A month ago I said goodbye

My life ended a month ago
My heart broke a month ago
My world stopped making sense
A month ago

How long is a month?
Two melted pillar candles away
Several thousand tears ago
One wounded tree ago
Forty five sympathy cards ago
Ten plants ago
One memorial service ago
Numerous "the baby died" ago
Thirty plus sleepless nights ago
Endless hopes and dreams ago

Time no longer has a meaning
Just a reminder of the distance
Between you and I
Events mark the minutes
And sadness checks the hours
Anger announces the days
And pain declares the weeks
A simple month ago

The daffodils have bloomed and gone
Holding on for as long as they could
Reminding me of the moment.
I wish I could have then back
To grow forever in the yard
But all I have are memories
Of the bright yellow flowers
That speak to me of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment