Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Bear

The Bear

When I held you so tiny, so small
Fragile you rested in my hands
I was afraid I would break you
I moved like carrying a feather
That would blow away at the
Slightest breeze

You are gone now and yet
That memory of your size
Lingers on. In a small blue
Bear shaped rattle. Just your size
In the palm of my hand

I held that bear today and tears fell
Across my crowded desk
Behind the closed door
At work, alone with your memory
Just a minute that seemed forever
We touch in soul again

I miss you my dear son
And no stuffed animal can compare
To my desire to hold you and love you
Forever and evermore
I have to go back to work now
And put you memory on hold
I have to fulfill my obligations
And keep the family whole

Will you forgive me for
For putting work first.
I do it only for the workday
And leave it at the door
But I have to work and
Can't sit and reminisce
About the moments that
I was with you

The bear sits watching
From atop the rack of books
Ever mindful of the child
That it represents. I think
About you often as I work
Through ever day
Keeping the honor going
As I do this for your sake

No comments:

Post a Comment